Saturday, November 27, 2010

Catching up -- Sully Quilt Show (September 2010)

On September 12, i went to the annual Sully Quilt Show, on the grounds of historic Sully Plantation, which is now a county park. We'd had much needed rain the night before and early in the morning, so some of the vendors had to set up in the drizzle. Also, the usual exhibit of antique quilts for sale, hanging up on clotheslines, was missing, probably because the vendors didn't want to risk their quilts getting dripped on by the trees or actually rained on.

I knew in advance that i wasn't going to buy much in the way of fabric...my stash is already overflowing my sewing room, spilling out of baskets in the living room, and piling up by the washing machine, and i already bought more fabric than i intended to this summer at the Vermont Quilt Festival. However, some interesting fabrics still followed me home and i found some interesting patterns and fell for a couple of new books. And i bought a gorgeous basket from Ghana from a Ghanaian gentleman who's sold baskets at my town's Farmer's Market before.

Here are some of my goodies proudly displayed on my garden bench
I couldn't resist a fun new book "It's Quilting Cats and Dogs" by Lynette Anderson, with lots of fun projects incorporating a lot of embroidery plus piecing and applique.

I got two patterns (and the accompanying fabric packs) for Helene Knotts' continuing hilarious series of "Garden Patch Cats." These two are "Mushkit" (kitty as a big mushroom) and "Catus Romanus" (kitty as a Roman emperor...and head of Romaine lettuce!).

I got an interesting self-published pattern from a local quilter, Barbara Wise, under her "Aunt Lilly's Attic" name...it's a pattern for making a market bag from a calendar tea towel. More clever quilters than me could probably figure out how to do it themselves, but i really like the security of having someone else's pattern at least as a jumping off place. Her booth had all sorts of things, especially bags and purses, made from repurposed linens of all kinds and i really thought the reuse of old calendar towels was especially cool. Inside the pattern envelope are some cool old shell buttons that i also bought from her.

The other book i bought is "500 Art Quilts" edited by Ray Hemachandra and Karey Bresenham. It's great "eye candy"....pictures of 500 contemporary art quilts from 1989 to 2008. Not much technical information on any of the quilts, but great selections and good photography. I'm enjoying leafing through it at leisure. It's pretty amusing that about half the reviews on amazon.com are from quilters proudly proclaiming that they have a quilt in the book. They're all worth seeing!

The last item on the bench is a "potato chip bag" that i made from Paula Hughes' pattern of that name. These are really fun little bags to make...i first got the pattern and a striking batik fabric kit from the nice people at Traditions at the White Swan at the Sully show last year. I made one for the mystery gift exchange at quilt retreat this Spring and people practically fought over it...the woman who managed to hold onto it is my quilt guild's program chair and (easily) talked me into teaching the group how to make them. This one is the one I made as a class sample.

And this one I made as a teaching sample as well, and then completed it as a gift for my sister's birthday in October. I added the three decorative buttons in honor of the new mama kitty and her two little orange kittens who my sister rescued from a life of dumpster-diving.

8 comments:

  1. It looks like a fun Quilt Show even if you did not get to see the antique quilts

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fabrics and patterns have been packed away for so many months now, that I'm wondering what I will tackle first when [soon, I hope] the basement room is finished.
    I have plans--and fabric--for many huge quilts, but the thought of some smaller projects is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have Quilting cats and dogs but it was packed away ready for building work so I was unable to play with it! There are some great ideas in it and I look forward to seeing your projects!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! It looks like you are going to be busy making some awesome quilts. I love the idea of cat quilts! Do show us when you have completed them.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ,I love so much this little bag with the kittens.
    Thanks for your visit on my blog and a big hug to you and your cats from my cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun time!! That basket is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What nice stuff!
    Thanks for your kind wishes for our Rudy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings at Christmas to yoo ALL ~ may you have friends at your fire, blessings in your home, and joy in your heart. Merry Christmas dear friends.

    ReplyDelete